A general formulation of the problem of calculating the altitude behavior of the concentration of primary cosmic-dust particles (micrometeorites) with different masses in the diffusion-sedimentation model, i.e., taking into account the magnitudes of the particle influx, sedimentation, and turbulent mixing of the atmosphere, is presented. Numerical calculations for the purely sedimentation model were performed. It is shown that particles with masses of 10-16 ...10-14g make the largest contribution to aerosol scattering of radiation with wavelengths of 0.1...0.5 μm. However the relative atmospheric turbidity produced by them is small: it does not exceed 2% of the Rayleigh molecular scattering.
1. V.M. Voloshyuk and Yu.S. Sedunov, Coagulation Processes in Dispersed Systems, Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1975).
2. D. Deirmendzhan, Scattering of Electromagnetic Radiation by Polydispersed Particles [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1971).
3. V.E. Zuev and G.M. Krekov, Current Problems in Atmospheric Optics, Vol. 2, Optical Models of the Atmosphere, Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1986).
4. K.Yu. Kondrat’ev and D.V. Pozdnyakov, Aerosol Models of the Atmosphere, Nauka, Moscow, (1981).
5. V.N. Lebedinets, Tr. Inst. Eksp. Meteorol., No. 4(61) (1976).
6. V.N. Lebedinets, Astron. Vest. 13, No. 3, 160 (1979).
7. V.N. Lebedinets, Dust in the Upper Atmosphere and Outer Space. Meteors Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1980).
8. V.N. Lebedinets, Aerosol in the Upper Atmosphere and Cosmic Dust Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, (1981).
9. A.E. Mikirov and V.A. Smerkalov, Studies of Diffuse Radiation in the Earth's Upper Atmosphere Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1981).
10. P. Reist, Aerosols [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1987).
11. G.V. Rozenberg, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, FAO 18, No. 6, 609 (1982).
12. J.A. Simpson, R.Z. Sagdeev, E.D. Tuzzolino, et al., Letters to Astronom. J. 12, No. 8, 639–646 (1986).
13. H. Van de Hulst, Light Scattering by Small Particles [Russian translation], Inost. Lit., Moscow (1961).
14. H. Junge, Atmospheric Chemical Compositions and Radioactivity [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1965).
15. J.K. Beatty, Sky and Telescope 71, No. 5, 438–443 (1986).
16. C.L. Hemenway, D.S. Hallgren, and C.D. Tackett, Space Res. 15, 541–547 (1975).
17. D.M. Hunten, R.P. Turco, and O.B. Toon, J. Atm. Sci. 37, No. 6. 1342–1357 ((1980).
18. R.A. McClatchey, R.W. Fenn, W.O. Selby, et al., Optical Properties of the Atmosphere (Revised). Report AFCRL, Bedford, 1971.
19. R.P. Turco, О.B. Toon, P. Hamil, et al., J. Atm., Sci. 36, 699–717 (1979).