The parameters of the excess noise produced in an FEU-130 photomultiplier by the electron stream striking its elements were measured. It is shown that this noise, called afterpulsing, must be taken into account when processing lidar signals.
1. A.N. Pertsev and A.N. Pisarevskii, Single-Electron Characteristics' of Photomultipliers (Atomizdat, Moscow, 1971), 151 pp.
2. B.G. Schuster and C.L. Frush, Rev. Sci. Instr. 41, No. 9, 1370 (1970).
3. В.V. Kaul’ and I.V. Samokhvalov, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Ser. Fiz., No. 10, 144–146 (1973).
4. Y. Iikura, N. Sugimoto, Y. Sagano, and H. Shimzu, Appl. Opt. 26, No. 24, 5299–5306 (1987).
5. Second International Lidar Researchers Directory, compiled by M.P. McCormick, Atmospheric Science Division NASA, 64 (1989).