It is shown that isolines of the slopes of the sea surface are fractal curves and can be characterized by a fractional dimension, and the fractional dimension is determined by the exponent of the rises in the surface. It is shown that for a monotonic "slope-brightness" transfer function the isolines of the image can be related to the solines of the surface. The dependence of the fractal dimension of the isolines on the spectral index p is obtained for a two-dimensional isotropic random field. The inverse function, which makes it possible to evaluate the spectrum of the surface from the fractal dimension of the isolines, is constructed.
1. V.E. Titov, Izv. Akad. Nauk USSR, Ser. FAO 18, No. 2, 215–216 (1982).
2. Ye.A. Lupyan, Issled. Zemli iz Kosmosa, No. 3. 31–35 (1988).
3. A.N. Bol'shakov, V.M. Burdyugov, S.A. Grodskii, and V.N. Kudryavtsev, Issled. Zemli iz Kosmosa, No. 5, 11–18 (1988).
4. F.M. Monaldo and R.S. Kasevich, Day light Imagery of Ocean Surface Wanes for Wave Spectra, J. Phys. Oceanography 11, 272–283 (1982).
5. V.G. Bondur, V.D. Borisov, V.N. Genin, V.V. Ku-lakov, V.A. Krutikov, A.B. Murynin, and M.I. Tikho-stup in: Proceedings of the 9th All-Union Symposium on Laser and Acoustic Sensing of the Atmosphere, Part 2, 292–296, Tomsk (1987).
6. G.I. Barenblatt, Similarity. Selfsimilarity, and Intermediate Asymptotics, Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1985), pp. 234.
7. Ya.B. Zeldovich, and D.A. Sokolov, Advances Phys. Sci. 146, No. 3, 493–506 (1985).
8. В.B. Mandelbrot and W.H. Freeman, Fractal, Form, Chance and Dimension, San Francisco (1977).
9. E.A. Lupuan and A.V. Murynin, Possibilities of Fractal Analysis of Optical Images of the Sea Surface, Preprint No. Pr-1521, Institute of Space Research of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow (1989).
10. N.I. Arzhenenko, V.G. Bodur and A.B. Murynin, Image Transfer through the Earth’s Atmosphere, Tomsk (1988), pp. 134–138.
11. V.E. Zakharov and M.M. Zaslavskii, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. FAO 19, No. 3, 282–291 (1983).
12. O.M. Phillips, The Dynamics of the Upper Layer of the Ocean [Russian translation], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1980) pp. 319.
13. I.N. Davidan, L.I. Lopatukhin and V.A. Rozhkov, Wind-Driven Ocean Waves [in Russian], Leningrad, Gidrometeoizdat (1985), pp. 256.
14. S.A. Akhmanov, Yu.D. D’yakov and A.F. Tchirkin, Introduction to Statistical Radiophysics and Optics, Nauka, Moscow (1981), pp. 640.